Often depression and sadness might seem to go hand and hand, many depressed senior people claim not to feel sad at all. Sometimes they complain instead, of a lack of energy or the desire to do anything. They will often complain about physical reasons to avoid doing some things. Physical complaints, such as arthritis pain are often the symptoms of depression is in the elderly. Depression in older adults can be caused by medical conditions.
Grief Or Symptoms Of Depression?
When establishing whether someone is suffering with depression or grieving, it is not easy as both conditions share many symptoms.
There are differences that enable the distinction between depression and grief.
Depression is a roller coaster involving a wide variety of emotions and a mix of good and bad days. Even when you’re in the middle of the grieving process, you will have moments of pleasure or happiness.
Early information and intervention with people suffering symptoms of a depressive disorder is the key to the professional treatment of this mental health issue most effectively. Engaging with a Clinical Psychologist directly or via a person’s Doctor, under the Better Access Initiative in Australia (Using Medicare), are ways to get psychological information, counselling, treatment and supporting services underway.
Swan Valley Psychology Centre
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders (eg depression)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Alcohol, other drug issues, Internet addiction and gambling issues
- Eating disorders/Lack of motivation to lose weight
- Chronic pain and subsequent rehabilitation including back to work psychological assistance
- Anger and aggression
- Personality disorders
- Intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorders
- Learning difficulties such as dyslexia
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder/Attention Deficit Disorder (includes self-regulation issues, strategies)
- Grief and loss/Adjustment issues.
In accordance with the Australian Psychological Society Guidelines fees can vary depending on the psychologist consulted. See website or telephone the Centre for details.
For more information
Phone: 08 9379 3580
Fax: 08 93793557
Address: 85 Walter Road East, Bassendean 6054
Postal Address: O Box 4073, Eden Hill WA 6054